Regulatory Roundup, Aug. 4

Regulatory Roundup is a weekly compilation of employee wellness and safety news.

Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)

Injury Tracking Application now available

OSHA’s Injury Tracking Application (ITA), which many employers will need to use to submit injury and illness records, is now available. OSHA’s recent notice of proposed rulemaking extended the submission deadline to Dec. 1, 2017. This year, companies with 20 to 247 employees in certain industries and companies with 250 or more employees will need to submit their 2016 Form 300A…MORE

The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)

New video on gauging and sampling

NIOSH released a new video regarding the severe hazards associated with manually gauging or collecting fluid samples on production tanks. The video describes hazards such as hydrocarbon gases and vapors, oxygen-deficient atmospheres and fires or explosions. It also explains steps that both employers and workers can take to work safely…MORE

National Safety Council (NSC)

According to the NSC’s 2014 Injury Facts report, more than 20 percent of the workforce has misused prescription painkillers. The NSC encourages employers to educate their own employees about the hazards associated with prescribed drugs, enforce a written policy and promote available employee assistance programs…MORE

Studies, resources, trends, news

Driving safety video wins Telly Award

The American Trucking Association received a bronze Telly Award for its “Share the Road” instructional video. The video is intended to educate drivers about how to be safe around big rigs. It includes topics such as staying out of truckers’ blind spots, maintaining a safe distance, not cutting in front of a truck and navigating highway construction zones…MORE

Motor vehicle crashes on the rise

About 40,000 people died in motor vehicle crashes last year, marking a six percent increase over the previous year. Remember that all employees are at risk; even if they don’t drive a company car, they still commute to work. Texas Mutual policyholders have access to free online defensive driving and distracted driving courses. Email safety@texasmutual.com for more information.

Struck-by injuries are highest in the construction industry

A report from the Center for Construction Research and Training shows that there were 804 construction worker fatalities attributed to struck-by incidents between 2011 and 2015. The report also showed that 52 percent of those fatalities involved workers being struck by an object or equipment, while the other 48 percent involved a vehicle…MORE

Recall issued for aerial lifts

Genie Industries issued a safety recall for certain aerial lifts due to platforms potentially dropping because of premature wear of the upper wear pads. The manufacturer discovered that weld debris could trigger early corrosion of the pads and have made replacement wear pad kits available for order…MORE

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: